avigailraphael

avigailraphael

The Cuckoo's Calling

The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith

When a troubled model falls to her death from a snow-covered Mayfair balcony, it is assumed that she has committed suicide. However, her brother has his doubts, and calls in private investigator Cormoran Strike to look into the case. A war veteran, wounded both physically and psychologically, Strike's life is in disarray. The case gives him a financial lifeline, but it comes at a personal cost: the more he delves into the young model's complex world, the darker things get - and the closer he gets to terrible danger.

A gripping, elegant mystery steeped in the atmosphere of London - from the hushed streets of Mayfair, to the backstreet pubs of the East End, to the bustle of Soho - The Cuckoo's Calling is a remarkable debut. Introducing Cormoran Strike, it is a classic crime novel unlike any other book you will read this year.

24.08.2014

=========

For me it is a 4.5 stars and not a four star book.

Very good, well written and descriptive, complex plot. Sometimes the pace was a bit slow, but still thoroughly entertaining and a great start to a new detective series with great characters. I look forward to many more Cormoran Strike adventures, he was somewhat like a procedural, and I enjoy walking through the clues with the detective and gathering the evidence. The characters are engaging and I was pleased to have the story line remain a mystery until the end. The mystery has a lot of twists and turns that keep you interested.